13.07.22 | Corporate
Zschimmer & Schwarz committed to community and solidarity
The chemical company supports people and communities around the world with donation campaigns, disaster relief and donations in kind
From donation campaigns to support regional social projects to emergency humanitarian aid for crisis regions and donations in kind for aid organisations – the Zschimmer & Schwarz Group, worldwide supplier of chemical specialities and auxiliaries headquartered in Lahnstein, Germany, thinks globally and helps locally. “Putting people first, respect and mutual care for everyone – this has been at the heart of Zschimmer & Schwarz since the company was founded in 1894. With success comes responsibility, and successful companies have a responsibility to society – that is something we will always live up to,” says Dietmar Clausen, General Manager Finance of Zschimmer & Schwarz.
Z&S donation campaign starts its next round
To mark the 125th anniversary of the Zschimmer & Schwarz Group in 2019, a charitable programme was set up on the initiative of the shareholder families. All employees around the world were invited to suggest local initiatives that the company could support with a donation. In 2022, this campaign entered its second round and will be repeated every two years from now on. More than 1,500 employees at all national and international locations were called upon to present projects in their region that are close to their hearts. Seven projects were selected from those submitted this year and will receive around 50,000 euros from Zschimmer & Schwarz.
Direct help at a local level
Once again, the range of projects is wide and varied:
- Yvonne Akkermans, employee at the Lahnstein site, made a strong case for the funding of an Archimedean screw for the nature playground in Braubach, Germany.
- On the initiative of Dr Eva Olmo Gil, employee at the Lahnstein site as well, support will be provided for the “Chemspirit” school laboratory at the University of Koblenz-Landau, which aims to get children and young people excited about natural sciences.
- The senior citizens’ residential complex Obere Rheinaue in Bendorf will receive a donation to help them buy a defibrillator, thanks to a proposal from Vera Wüst, who also works at the Lahnstein site.
- The apple nature trail in the Muldental and Chemnitztal landscape conservation area will be expanded. The proposal was submitted by Claudia Rodinger-Steffen from the Mohsdorf site.
- Thanks to Elena Mezquita, employee in Vila-real, Spain, funding will be given to Ayúdame 3D, an organisation that makes 3D-printed prosthetic hands and arms and supplies them free of charge to people with disabilities all over the world.
- Based on the proposal of Tiziana Borla, employee at the Tricerro site in Italy, the treatment of children and young people with disabilities – especially those from low-income families – at a rehabilitation centre in the Italian province of Novara will receive support.
- At the suggestion of Erica Roveglia, also employed in Tricerro, Italy, an old people’s and nursing home in Livorno Ferraris will get a new kitchen and dining room.
With funding for children, young people and senior citizens, medical equipment, an educational initiative and nature conservation, the programme supports many areas of life for all generations. Gisela Rochow, shareholder of Zschimmer & Schwarz, is already looking to the future of the donation campaign: “No one understands the situation at our locations better than our local employees. They provide us with important input so that we can help people in a direct and straightforward way. We can’t wait to hear the reports on the implementation of the selected projects.”
Following the success of the first donation campaign in 2019, the company quickly decided that it should be repeated at regular intervals. In the company’s anniversary year, 14 projects were selected to receive a total support of 200,000 euros from Zschimmer & Schwarz. “We have seen the direct impact of our donations in the locations where our companies are based, that is, where our employees live and work,” says Thomas Schwarz, also shareholder of Zschimmer & Schwarz. “That’s why we have decided to repeat the donation campaign every two years from now on. We are already looking forward to the next round and to seeing the projects that are close to our employees’ hearts in 2024.”
A tradition of responsibility
Social responsibility and sustainable action have been part of the DNA of the family business Zschimmer & Schwarz ever since it was founded. While the donation campaign provides support to regional projects at the company‘s locations every other year, Zschimmer & Schwarz always retains a global focus on people in need. This year, the shareholder families donated 50,000 euros in emergency aid to the German disaster relief organisation Aktionsbündnis Katastrophenhilfe for Ukraine. In addition, donations in kind for Ukraine with a total value of 60,000 euros were provided to aid organisations.
Those affected by the catastrophic flooding in the west of Germany in 2021 were also supplied immediate aid in the form of a donation of 100,000 euros. From its headquarters in nearby Lahnstein, the company also supported affected persons and rescue forces with supplies, logistics and expertise. “As a global player, we also have a global responsibility,” says Dr Martin Haberl, General Manager Sales & Marketing of Zschimmer & Schwarz. “Whether in our home region with rapid-response assistance, with financial support for long-term projects close to our company sites or with donations for humanitarian emergency aid in crisis regions: since the company was founded, part of our self-image has been to make our contribution, to live up to our corporate values and to help people in need.”
Head of Corporate Communications
Zschimmer & Schwarz
56112 Lahnstein | DE
T +49 2621 12-201
F +49 2621 12-507