Progress since 1894.
When Otto Zschimmer and Max Schwarz founded a chemical wholesaler in 1894 and began producing their own chemical products in 1909, the world was a completely different place. After all, who at the time could have foreseen the events that would shape the 20th century? The history of Zschimmer & Schwarz is therefore also a history of Germany, and a history of constant change.
1894 - 1933
1939 - 1960
1970 - 1978
1980 - 1990
1995 - 1998
2000 - 2010
2012 - today
1 January: Otto Zschimmer and Max Schwarz found the general partnership Zschimmer & Schwarz and start selling drugs, paint products and chemicals
Start of operations of the Company’s first production facility in a factory in Greiz-Doelau, Thuringia; the chemical plant, Z&S Chemische Fabrik Doelau, employs around 500 staff and until 1945 is the Company’s biggest production facility
Start of development activities and registration of the first patent: “Process for presenting a substitute for balsam of Peru”
Company founder Otto Zschimmer dies at the age of 70 in Chemnitz
Acquisition of Flesch-Werke AG in Oberlahnstein on the Rhine, from 1959 location of the Company’s head office and the biggest production facility of Z&S
Sequestration and expropriation of all Z&S operations in Saxony and Thuringia; the partners and their families flee to West Germany
Company founder Max Schwarz dies at the age of 91 in Lahnstein. The first foreign subsidiary, Z&S France with head office in Paris, starts the sale of paper auxiliaries. Launch of the Ceramic Auxiliaries Division in Lahnstein
Foundation of Ursa-Chemie GmbH, today contract manufacturer for the chemical and cosmetics industry and manufacturer of products for the electroplating industry
Foundation of Z&S Italiana and start of production and sale of surfactants, initially in Southern Europe
Foundation of the Group’s first company in South America: Z&S Argentina; from 2008 development of own production for leather, textile, fibre and ceramic auxiliaries
Opening ceremony of the fully biological waste water treatment plant at the location in Lahnstein: the Company’s biggest single investment at the time at DM 4 million
Foundation of Zeta Esse Ti in Italy, initially only for the production and sale of textile auxiliaries; leather and fibre auxiliaries are added at a later date
Entry in the Italian ceramics market with the acquisition of Ceramco; at the same time acquisition of the Spanish subsidiary Ceramco España, initially as a trading company for ceramic auxiliaries, later renamed to Z&S España; from 2002 development of own production
Move of the Textiles Auxiliaries Division from Lahnstein to Saxony, where Z&S Mohsdorf GmbH had been founded two years earlier. As part of an extensive modernisation and development programme at the Lahnstein location, the construction of a new continuous sulfation plant and the new logistics centre are completed
Acquisition of a textile auxiliaries manufacturer and foundation of Z&S, Inc. in Milledgeville, Georgia, USA, and development of the Fibre Auxiliaries, Ceramic Auxiliaries, Phosphonates and Care Specialities Divisions at this location
Development of a production for special chemicals for the leather, ceramics and textile industries in Brazil, the world’s second largest tile market and one of the largest automotive leather markets
Foundation of Z&S Chemical (Foshan) in China, the largest ceramics market in the world. In 2007 start of own production of ceramic auxiliaries, later expanded to textile, fibre and leather auxiliaries
Foundation of Z&S Russia and development of a ceramic auxiliaries production and expansion of the sales network for the Fibre Auxiliaries, Leather Auxiliaries, Textile Auxiliaries and Care Specialities Divisions. Foundation of Z&S México, initially as a trading company for leather auxiliaries; later development of a ceramic and textile auxiliaries production
Acquisition of Euro Kimya, development of the ceramic auxiliaries business in Turkey
The Ceramic Auxiliaries Division of Z&S develops the new Trucolor product group, digital printer inks for tiles
Acquisition of Lefatex Chemie GmbH with products for coating textile and carbon fibres and clutches for use in textile concrete
The acquisition of the dyehouse business from Lamberti / Unichem, Italy, further strengthens the position of Z&S in the leather auxiliaries market. The acquisition of Gevartis AG, Switzerland, further develops the Ceramic Auxiliaries Division’s glass portfolio, adding interlayer fire-proof glass, in particular.
The acquisition of Interpolymer Corporation, USA, adds polymer-based solutions to the portfolios of the divisions of Z&S and creates access to a growth market
With the acquisition of the Lexolube Division from Inolex, Inc., USA, the product range was expanded in the Care Specialities Division with products for the manufacturing of synthetic oils and fats. Foundation of Zschimmer & Schwarz Ukraine as a sales representative for fibre, leather and textile auxiliaries as well as care specialities
Foundation of Interpolymer Korea Co., Ltd. in the context of a joint venture agreement with KhaiEL Korea Co.
Zschimmer & Schwarz celebrates its 125th anniversary. Zschimmer & Schwarz expands its product portfolio in the Leather Auxiliaries Division by joining forces with Samia S.p.A.
Zschimmer & Schwarz is increasing its consistent focus on customer wishes and offers tailor-made solutions. With a restructuring of its business divisions, the corporate group is evolving strategically and intensifying its application orientation.
Zschimmer & Schwarz joins the United Nations Global Compact, thereby emphasising its commitment to shaping the future with a focus on sustainability and responsibility for society.